Saturday, July 13, 2013

Nazrul a State Prisoner (contd-1)

Nazrul remained in  Alipore Central Jail for few months as a Political prisoner. He earned respect from the people of the country. Rabindranath dedicated his "Basanta", a lyrical Drama, on 22nd Feb 1923 in Alipore Central Jail,   to express reverence of the people of Bengal. He wrote in dedication,
                                                                Dedicated to
                                           Sreeman Kabi Nazrul Islam Snehabhajanesu
                                                                            Rabindranath selected Pabitra Gangopadhyay to hand over the book to Nazrul. He called for him in Jorasanko and said ;
"it is Nazrul who has brought spring in our nation's life. That's why I have dedicated my recently published book "Basanta", a lyrical drama, to him.But I'm soorry I'm not able to give him the book in my own hand. I thought that I might sent it to him through you. You give it to him on my behalf.".
Many of his followers could not take it easily as this was the first time he was dedicating a book to any one outside his own family or a member not belonging to Brahmmo Samaj.
The detail of this incident is available from " Kabi Swikriti" written by Pabitra Gangopadhyay published in Nazrul Academy Patrika, Dhaka 1376.
Rabindranath took a copy of the book , signed it,  gave it to Pabitra Gangopadhyay and said;
" tell him, not to repent as I am not able to hand it over to him. I am sending my blessings to him whole heartedly and insist him not to give up the habit of writing poems. We may get many soldiers , but we require persons who can inspire people to take up arms."
The warder of the prison became astonished to see the book was handed over to Nazrul and uttered ,"Tagore has dedicated a book to this prisoner."
Nazrul took the book and made it to touch his forehead and then embraced it in his chest.
This dedication by Rabindranath did some relief to Nazrul in his prison life.he recognized this dedication by writing a poem but there were some who could not take it easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment